Learn More

Have questions about programs, military or veteran benefits, or our military-friendly services? Contact us to speak with our Military Specialist.

Proud Participant

sixThe University of Nebraska is a proud participant in Got Your Six, a national campaign to support military and veteran service members and their families.

Each University of Nebraska campus is accredited by:

The Higher Learning Commission


Military & Veteran Students

U.S. military member online student shown in uniform with American flag patch


Online programs from the University of Nebraska are an ideal way for military, veterans and dependents to continue your education by finishing your bachelor’s degree or pursuing an advanced degree.

Each of our four campuses offers a wide range of online programs, and each has a Military Adviser to help with enrollment advising, tuition assistance, veterans benefits, credit transfer and other services.

Use the Search for Programs box to find a program you're interested in. Then contact the Military Adviser listed for more information.

The University of Nebraska participates in:

  • Service members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program 
  • Got Your 6
  • Military Times Best for Vets Colleges 
  • G.I. Jobs Military Friendly Schools
  • Guide to Military Friendly Colleges and Universities
  • Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding
  • ACE Toolkit for Veteran Friendly Institutions 

Combined 2014 military logos.



Our campuses are designated as military-friendly and participate in the Yellow Ribbon Post 9/11 GI Bill program as well as other financial aid programs. Advisers will assist you with:

  • Financial aid, including GI Bill, Yellow Ribbon, military tuition assistance, and other federal aid programs
  • Scholarships available through the University of Nebraska
  • Obtaining military transcripts and credit for military service
  • Support for deployment, PCS and other career and lifestyle demands 
  • Services focused on dependents
  • Online degree programs that enable you to participate wherever you are in the world
  • One-stop offices to help you transition from military to college to career

Military Contact


  • University of Nebraska–Lincoln
    Micaela Rahe


 Ranked 2nd best for vets colleges in 2014 Military Times.

  • University of Nebraska at Omaha
    Office of Military and Veteran Services 

  • University of Nebraska Medical Center
    Maggie Winnicki

Financial Aid

Contact your campus military adviser for information on these financial aid benefits:

Current Benefit Rates

Benefits Comparison and FAQ

Application Checklist

  1. Contact the Military Adviser listed for the program you’re interested in.
    • The Military Adviser will provide you with initial information about how to get started at the university and your veteran/military financial benefit options, plus answer any other questions you have. They will explain how to access transcripts from the military and any previous educational institutions. 
    • You may be asked to provide documentation of military service and other training programs to see what credit might be available.
  2. Schedule an appointment (in person, via e-mail, or by phone) with the Academic Adviser for the program you are interested in. 
    • The Academic Adviser will evaluate your transcripts (unofficial copies are sufficient for this) to determine which credit will transfer to the program and what will remain to complete the program.
  3.  Check out information on funding your education
    • Find current costs of your program on the “Tuition and Fees” tab within the program page.
    • Talk to the Military Adviser or Financial Aid office at the campus offering your program for information on federal financial aid programs for military, veterans and dependents, as well as university-specific financial aid.
    • Research any tuition reimbursement benefits offered through your employer.
  4. Once you have decided on a program, apply for admission.
    • Steps for admissions can be found on the Admissions tab on your program page.
    • If applicable, apply for residency for tuition purposes.
    • Fill out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) apply for scholarships, and complete paperwork for military tuition assistance and VA benefits.

Transcript Resources

Campus Contacts for Veterans


  • University of Nebraska–Lincoln
    Deb Quinn, VA Benefits Clerk

UNO Ranked 9th in Best For Vets Colleges

  • University of Nebraska at Omaha
    Mike Connolly, Director, Office of Military and Veteran Services
    Toll Free:  855.MAV.USO1 (855.628.8761)



VA Education Benefits Toll-Free Number

888.GI BILL.1 (888.442.4551)

The St. Louis VA Regional Processing Office has established education toll-free phone service for student veterans in Nebraska. This toll-free number offers information on VA education benefits for veterans and dependents and information on your own benefits account if you receive Montgomery GI Bill Benefits (Active Duty or Selected Reserve).

Student veterans can call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) and obtain information 24/7. VA Education Case Managers are available during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.) Monday through Friday.1-888-GI BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) 

VA Education Service on the Web

The Veterans Benefits Administration's Education Service website, http://www.gibill.va.gov, has valuable information for veterans and dependents concerning all education programs administered by VA.

Access detailed pamphlets on available programs as well as frequently asked questions, current projects and news.

The VA also has a website that connects student veterans directly with the St. Louis RPO at http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/facility.asp?id=249

Address Changes

Student veterans are responsible for notifying the VA of any address changes. Call 888.442.4551 and talk with a Case Manager or leave a voice mail message with your new address and phone number. The VA will call and verify the address before changing it.


Find Your Regional VA Office

To find the addresses and contact information of VA Regional Offices, search the VA directory.

Residency Policies

Active Duty Military and Dependents

A person on active duty with the armed services of the United States of America who has been assigned a permanent duty station in Nebraska, or the spouse or dependent of an individual who has been assigned permanent duty station in Nebraska may be considered a resident for tuition purposes. Veterans of all branches of the U.S. armed services who are graduates of a Nebraska high school, have been honorably discharged from the military and return to Nebraska to establish a home are eligible to attend the University of Nebraska at in-state (resident) tuition rates without having to first meet the 12-month domicile rule.

Instructions: Provide an Affidavit of Intent, and official documentation from the military personnel office indicating active duty and permanent duty station in Nebraska.

A person who is a dependent of a Nebraska resident on active military duty will be granted resident tuition status if he/she verifies that he/she is a spouse or a dependent for federal income tax purposes of an individual meeting the qualifications.

Instructions: Provide an Affidavit of Intent, and official documentation from the military personnel office indicating active duty and verifying that Nebraska is Home of Record. Dependents or spouses of active duty military should provide a copy of the military orders of the spouse, parent or guardian verifying dependent status.


Policy on Students Called to Military Service Including Deployment/Extended TDY

Executive Memorandum 23



    This Policy shall be implemented in order that the University of Nebraska might provide equitable, consistent treatment to its students who are called into military service and to facilitate their ability to continue their education once that military service is completed.

    Back to top
    Students who are regularly enrolled in any or program offered by the University of Nebraska1 are eligible for the benefits described in this Policy, if they: (a) belong to a military unit that is called into active duty, or (b) are drafted and not eligible for deferment; such that the date upon which they are required to report to active duty prohibits them, as a practical matter, from completing the term in which they are enrolled.

    (1) For the benefit of eligible students residing in states other than Nebraska that are enrolled in distance education programs or coursework through the University of Nebraska, such eligibility will, to the extent required by law, extend to a spouse or dependent child for such distance education programs or coursework in accordance with the relevant rules of the state in which the student resides.

    Back to top
    An eligible student may elect to cancel registration in all classes in which he or she is enrolled at the time the call for duty is received. In such case, the student shall receive a full refund for all tuition and student fees paid on behalf of that student. In the alternative, the student may request his or her instructors to award a grade or an incomplete for all classes. If an incomplete is given, then the instructor shall file in the student's educational records and provide to the student specific instructions regarding the study and activities required to complete the course. If a grade and credit are awarded, then the instructor shall award a grade reflective of the student's performance, taking into consideration the quantity and nature of the curriculum through the time of the student's departure. Finally, the student shall have the option of withdrawing from selected courses, receiving a pro-rated refund of tuition and fees for those courses, while also opting to receive a grade or incomplete in other courses in which the student is enrolled.

    Back to top
    Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in this Policy, administration of financial aid with respect to any eligible student shall be consistent with federal and state law. Students otherwise eligible for these benefits and receiving financial aid should immediately contact the financial aid office on their respective campuses, where each case must be addressed individually based upon the particular rules applicable to the relevant student. The campus financial aid offices shall address these matters in such a way so as to minimize the financial hardships to the student, while complying with the applicable law and regulations.

    Back top
    This Policy shall appear in all student catalogs and placed on the websites of Central Administration and each Campus.

    Back to top
    This Policy applies to all administrative units of the University of Nebraska. Each campus may provide supplemental policy guidance, consistent with this Policy, designed to implement the provisions herein, including guidance relating to fees associated with meals and housing, textbooks, parking, lab and course fees, as well as other ancillary fees.

    Back top