Community College Students

Guarantee Your Admission to the University of Nebraska

As a Nebraska community college student you can earn guaranteed admission to the university upon completion of your associate's degree. Your community college is well equipped to prepare you for university-level studies. Take full advantage of this capability by following the On Course pathway.

Sign up with your Community College adviser today.


To qualify for assured admission to the University of Nebraska, you must have:

  • An Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from a Nebraska community college, or a high school diploma or GED
  • 16 academic units, either in high school or community college, as listed under "Academic Requirements" below
  • Additional coursework that meets the university's general education requirements
  • A grade of C or higher in all courses taken to fulfill On Course requirements 

Academic Requirements

Both high school and community college courses can count toward your admission requirements. On Course students must complete the academic units listed below. A unit is one year of college-preparatory high school education or one community college course.

English Four Units - all courses must include reading and writing
Math Three Units -  (four if you plan to attend UNL, including geometry and either pre-calculus or calculus). The three units must include Algebra I and II, and geometry or an equivalent math course. Natural Sciences: Three units, including biology, chemistry, physics or earth sciences, with at least one course being laboratory-based
Social Studies Three units, including at least one unit of American or world history and one additional unit of history, American government or geography
Foreign Language Two units of the same foreign language at elementary or higher levels

Students who begin their studies at the University of Nebraska take certain general education courses in their first two years. On Course students are also expected to take courses that develop intellectual and practical skills, including communication, inquiry, critical thinking and creativity. Courses that provide this type of general education include speech, literature, aesthetics and citizenship.

Your adviser can help ensure that you are taking the right courses to meet admission requirements for the campus of your choice.

Financial Aid

Financial assistance is available to qualifying On Course students through Collegebound Nebraska, the University of Nebraska's tuition assistance program, as well as other need-based and merit-based scholarships. Collegebound Nebraska can help make sure your educational costs do not increase substantially when you move from community college to the university.

If you are Pell Grant-eligible, Collegebound Nebraska guarantees that you will pay no tuition at UNL, UNO or UNK. Even if you are not Pell Grant-eligible, you may receive Collegebound Nebraska support based on information you provide by filling out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). As a general rule, students from a family of four with one student in college and a family income of $50,000 or less will qualify for free tuition.

Collegebound Nebraska provides full tuition assistance for up to five years to full-time undergraduate students who are Nebraska residents. See your community college adviser for assistance in filling out the FAFSA form. You must apply by April 1 of the year in which you plan to attend the university.


Online Learning Self Evaluation

To help determine your comfort level and readiness for online learning, take our informal self evaluation.